- London / Remote Working
- Full Time
Salary: Negotiable depending on qualification and experience
At GenPAx we are building a platform to revolutionise the use of genome sequencing information in human, food, and animal health. By combining traditional and new cutting-edge computational methodologies, we want to radically increase the utility, scalability, and speed with which genome sequencing information can be accessed and used to deliver near real-time diagnostic and infection control solution for human and animal healthcare worldwide. The goal is to enable proactive infection control at early stages of outbreaks and in response to more dangerous and / or more antibiotic resistant strains. We believe that we have all of the missing pieces to address this problem and our goal is to convert these into a real-world solution as quickly and robustly as possible.
The Resource Development Team (RDT)
In the first phase GenPAx the resource development team will work together on a novel and ground-breaking approach to bacterial genome sequence analysis. Members of the RDT will report directly to the CSO until there are intermediate leadership roles. The RDT will be highly collaborative. Most members will work in small development groups focussed upon resources for different bacterial species, with other members of the team performing complementary activities on specific aspects of resource testing, marker resource development, and working with collaborator and public domain data to ensure optimum functionality and performance. RDT members will be encouraged to develop individual synergistic skills, according to their interests and strongest competencies.
The primary role of the statistician within the RDT is to contribute to the identification of markers of virulence (what makes bacteria dangerous), evolutionary history, and antibiotic resistance / susceptibility. This will partly involve using traditional and novel genome-wide association studies (GWAS) strategies. It is envisaged that this post will be one of two posts with strengths and focus upon statistical and large-scale data analysis. It is intended that these posts will have synergistic and complementary skills, thus the strengths of each candidate will inform the overall selection process. Candidates are strongly advised to highlight their areas of specific expertise and interest at the time of application in their covering letter to facilitate this process.
- Responsible for developing underpinning resources for developing and delivering genome sequence analysis tools and resources.
- To contribute to the development of resources underpinning assembly, analysis, and interpretation of genome sequence data.
- Data mining of literature and on-line public resources relevant to marker identification and discovery
- The testing, validation, and discovery of public and internal markers of behavioural properties required for the optimal management of infections and infection control
- To develop individual skills and specialist competencies to complement and enhance those of the wider RDT
- To develop essential underlying knowledge of the bacterial species that you work on and their population / evolutionary genomics, and their associated infection challenges, necessary to underpin understanding-rooted computational analyses that serve the needs of users
- To respond and contribute to the rapidly changing needs and environment of this high-tech start-up and to contribute as best you can to the success of GenPAx.
What we are looking for from you
- Undergraduate or postgraduate qualification in Mathematics, Statistics, or Data Science
- Proficient working in a UNIX/Linux environment
- Expert in R / MATLAB
- Proficient using databases like MySQL/PostgreSQL
- Experience working with and analyzing large data sets
- The ability to keep detailed and indexed records of code and resource development and versions in ways that facilitate team-based projects and record keeping for compliance purposes
- Work effectively in and across teams
- An understanding of underpinning aspects of DNA sequencing technologies and bacterial genetics and biology
- Experience working with whole genome sequencing and / or phylogenetics data
- Genuine team player comfortable with a rapid pace of work in a dynamic and collaborative environment in which achieving goals and working towards shared deadlines is key to effective teamwork
- Task orientated problem solver with a can-do attitude and positive mind set
- Proactive attitude to work and the development of your own skills and expertise
- Creative thinking and a love of learning about new technologies and approaches
- Want to be part of a business dedicated to having a positive impact on humanity