- London / Remote Working
- Full Time
Salary: Negotiable depending on qualification and experience
At GenPAx we are building a platform to revolutionise the use of genome sequencing information in human, food, and animal health. By combining traditional and new cutting-edge computational methodologies, we want to radically increase the utility, scalability, and speed with which genome sequencing information can be accessed and used to deliver near real-time diagnostic and infection control solution for human and animal healthcare worldwide. The goal is to enable proactive infection control at early stages of outbreaks and in response to more dangerous and / or more antibiotic resistant strains. We believe that we have all of the missing pieces to address this problem and our goal is to convert these into a real-world solution as quickly and robustly as possible.
The Resource Development Team (RDT)
In the first phase GenPAx the resource development team will work together on a novel and ground-breaking approach to bacterial genome sequence analysis. The Literature Researcher and Communications / Science Writer will work closely and report directly to the Chief Scientific Officer (who has a base in the Totnes area of Devon). The RDT will be highly collaborative. Most members will work in small development groups focussed upon resources for different bacterial species, with other members of the team performing complementary activities on specific aspects of resource testing, marker resource development, and working with collaborator and public domain data to ensure optimum functionality and performance.
For the right candidate this is an exciting and unusual role and opportunity, working closely with the entire team, and especially with the Chief and Deputy Scientific Officers. The role will include developing literature-based expertise in the underpinning fields relevant to the GenPAx solutions, as well as gathering information to ensure the optimal development of the analysis and reporting content to ensure that they are at the cutting edge with respect to the reporting of actionable markers and features. It is best suited for someone who enjoys and embraces large bodies of information and finding and building connections within and between them. You have to be good with the big picture, as well as with the fine detail. The ideal candidate will love library (and its modern on-line equivalents) learning, finding and acquiring new knowledge in conferences, studying, and growing their knowledge, and then being able to share and communicate it with wide-ranging audiences, from the highly expert to the beginner, and everything in between.
- Literature searching and coordinating and annotating literature resources
- Efficiently highlighting and sharing relevant and important publications and key content to the relevant team members
- To keep abreast the team with pre-existing and emergent literature and discoveries in the field
- To prepare and update internal resources of various kinds with new information and data in the public domain
- To assist in the generation of proof of concept and demonstrations of GenPAx capabilities for the purpose of education and promotion of GenPAx tools and resources
- Travel to a range of academic conferences and other meetings, both nationally and internationally, for which a substantial travel budget is associated with this post. You might reasonably expect to be away at least 1 to 2 months of the year (COVID-permitting)
- Writing academic and non-academic publications, blogs, and other materials for web pages
- Contributing to grant writing and coordination between collaborating parties in the process of grant preparation and reporting
- Working closely with web-development and the wider GenPAx team on communication materials, and ensure that the materials that are presented by GenPAx are of the highest quality of both content and presentation
- To respond and contribute to the rapidly changing needs and environment of this start-up, in order to contribute as best you can to the success of GenPAx.
What we are looking for from you
- Graduate qualification in biomedical sciences and / or microbiology, or similar
- Excellent written English skills
- Passion for reading and writing
- Excellent ability to assimilate information from multiple sources and data communication skills
- Inquisitive and fine eye for detail
- Be self-motivated, organised, and a good communicator
- Work effectively in and across teams
- Established and demonstrated skills with relevant software packages.
- Established science writer.
- An understanding of underpinning aspects of DNA sequencing technologies and analysis; and bacterial genetics, evolution, infection, and biology
- Experience working with whole genome sequencing and / or phylogenetics data
- Genuine team player comfortable with a rapid pace of work in a dynamic and collaborative environment in which achieving goals and working towards shared deadlines is key to effective teamwork
- Task orientated problem solver with a can-do attitude and positive mind set
- Proactive attitude to work and the development of your own skills and expertise
- Proactive communicator who will take discoveries to those who need to know, and not wait to be asked or chased
- Creative thinking and a love of learning about new technologies and approaches
- Want to be part of a business dedicated to having a positive impact on humanity