- London / Remote Working
- Full Time
Salary: Negotiable depending on qualification and experience
At GenPAx we are building a platform to revolutionise the use of genome sequencing information in human, food, and animal health. By combining traditional and new cutting-edge computational methodologies, we want to radically increase the utility, scalability, and speed with which genome sequencing information can be accessed and used to deliver near real-time diagnostic and infection control solution for human and animal healthcare worldwide. The goal is to enable proactive infection control at early stages of outbreaks and in response to more dangerous and / or more antibiotic resistant strains. We believe that we have all of the missing pieces to address this problem and our goal is to convert these into a real-world solution as quickly and robustly as possible.
The Resource Development Team (RDT)
In the first phase GenPAx the resource development team will work together on a novel and ground-breaking approach to bacterial genome sequence analysis. Members of the RDT will report directly to the CSO until there are intermediate leadership roles. The RDT will be highly collaborative. Most members will work in small development groups focussed upon resources for different bacterial species, with other members of the team performing complementary activities on specific aspects of resource testing, marker resource development, and working with collaborator and public domain data to ensure optimum functionality and performance. RDT members will be encouraged to develop individual synergistic skills, according to their interests and strongest competencies.
This is a software development role to work flexibly with the different groups and people working on specific applications, analysis, data management, and other underpinning development of pipelines, and specialist tools for genome sequence analysis and associated resources. You will work with different specialist bioinformaticians / computational biologists within the RDT and write code. Your demonstrable capabilities, and your ability to work in a team setting where people’s work is highly connected and inter-dependent are more important than a specific set of paper qualifications.
- Responsible for developing, testing, validating, and delivering genome sequence analysis tools and resources. This includes processes of assembly, annotation, identification, comparison, visualization, and of new computational solutions.
- To contribute to the development of new pipelines, generating new tools, and new database resources applicable to bacterial genomics, assembly, analysis, and interpretation.
- To write complex queries and productionize your code
- To write tools for sequence manipulation and data management to underpin resource development and use
- To develop individual skills and specialist competencies to complement and enhance those of the wider RDT
- To develop essential underlying knowledge of the bacterial species and the nature of the information and problem that GenPAx addresses
- To contribute to the development of user-facing front-end data import / acquisition and reporting solutions
- To respond and contribute to the rapidly changing needs and environment of this high-tech start-up and to contribute as best you can to the success of GenPAx.
What we are looking for from you
- Expert in Python and C++
- Expert in working in UNIX/Linux
- Expert in creating and designing database architecture and schema
- Unification of code base from multiple developers
- The ability to keep detailed and indexed records of code and resource development and versions in ways that facilitate team-based projects and record keeping for compliance purposes
- Project management capabilities
- Work effectively in and across teams
- Experience working with large and complex datasets
- Proficient using databases like MySQL/PostgreSQL
- Experience working with very large datasets
- Experience working with R and in constructing your own data interrogations
- Experience working in commercial teams or software service settings
- Genuine team player comfortable with a rapid pace of work in a dynamic and collaborative environment in which achieving goals and working towards shared deadlines is key to effective teamwork
- Task orientated problem solver with a can-do attitude and positive mind set
- Proactive attitude to work and the development of your own skills and expertise
- Creative thinking and a love of learning about new technologies and approaches
- Want to be part of a business dedicated to having a positive impact on humanity