- London / Remote Working
- Full Time
Salary: Negotiable depending on qualification and experience
At GenPAx we are building a platform to revolutionise the use of genome sequencing information in human, food, and animal health. By combining traditional and new cutting-edge computational methodologies, we want to radically increase the utility, scalability, and speed with which genome sequencing information can be accessed and used to deliver near real-time diagnostic and infection control solution for human and animal healthcare worldwide. The goal is to enable proactive infection control at early stages of outbreaks and in response to more dangerous and / or more antibiotic resistant strains. We believe that we have all of the missing pieces to address this problem and our goal is to convert these into a real-world solution as quickly and robustly as possible.
The Resource Development Team (RDT)
In the first phase GenPAx the resource development team will work together on a novel and ground-breaking approach to bacterial genome sequence analysis. Members of the RDT will report directly to the CSO until there are intermediate leadership roles. The RDT will be highly collaborative. Most members will work in small development groups focussed upon resources for different bacterial species, with other members of the team performing complementary activities on specific aspects of resource testing, marker resource development, and working with collaborator and public domain data to ensure optimum functionality and performance. RDT members will be encouraged to develop individual synergistic skills, according to their interests and strongest competencies.
The best bioinformaticians and computational biologists have come from many starting points, some from computer science and maths backgrounds, others from biology or medicine. We are open to applicants from any applicable background as long as they have the necessary platform computational skills and experience. Your demonstrable capabilities, and your ability to work in a team setting where people’s work is highly connected and inter-dependent are more important than a specific set of paper qualifications.
- Responsible for developing, testing, validating, and delivering genome sequence analysis tools and resources. This includes processes of assembly, annotation, identification, comparison, visualization, and of new computational solutions.
- To contribute to the development of new pipelines, generating new tools, and new database resources applicable to bacterial genomics, assembly, analysis, and interpretation.
- Analysis of public domain, user, and collaborative sequence data.
- To contribute analysis results and data to support the promotion and communication of GenPAx system capabilities, and to the preparation of such materials
- To assist in the generation of proof of concept and demonstrations of capabilities for the purpose of education and promotion of GenPAx tools and resources
- To develop individual skills and specialist competencies to complement and enhance those of the wider RDT
- To develop essential underlying knowledge of the bacterial species that you work on and their population / evolutionary genomics, and their associated infection challenges, necessary to underpin understanding-rooted computational analyses that serve the needs of users
- To work with users to facilitate their use of GenPAx resources
- To contribute to the development of user-facing front-end data import / acquisition and reporting solutions
- To respond and contribute to the rapidly changing needs and environment of this high-tech start-up and to contribute as best you can to the success of GenPAx.
What we are looking for from you
- Proficient working with Python and ideally also Linux and SQL
- Proficient using databases like MySQL/PostgreSQL
- Experience working with and analyzing large data sets
- Able to retrieve and aggregate data from multiple sources and compile it into a digestible form
- The ability to keep detailed and indexed records of code and resource development and versions in ways that facilitate team-based projects and record keeping for compliance purposes
- Work effectively in and across teams
- An established interest in the application of computational solutions to biology
- Experience in running sequence analysis tools
- An understanding of underpinning aspects of DNA sequencing technologies and bacterial genetics and biology
- Experience working with whole genome sequencing and / or phylogenetics data
- Experience working with R and in constructing your own data interrogations (developing these skills will be a priority, if you do not arrive with them)
- Experience working in commercial teams or bioinformatics service settings
- Experience using genome browsers and / or other visualization tools
- Genuine team player comfortable with a rapid pace of work in a dynamic and collaborative environment in which achieving goals and working towards shared deadlines is key to effective teamwork
- Task orientated problem solver with a can-do attitude and positive mind set
- Proactive attitude to work and the development of your own skills and expertise
- Creative thinking and a love of learning about new technologies and approaches
- Want to be part of a business dedicated to having a positive impact on humanity